What is the Twitter Archive? How Do I Download it and Delete My Old Tweets?
Raza Ali Kazmi
The Twitter archive is a large archive that contains various types of data associated with your Twitter account. This information consists of your Twitter profile photo, Twitter bio, your Direct Messages (DMs), any media published from your account (including photos, GIFs and videos), Twitter moments, your followers & following lists, your contacts, your lists, your bookmarks, and so on.
- Twitter Profile Photo: Your Twitter profile photo helps people recognize you, your brand or your company. Your profile photo is your personal, brand or organizational identity.
- Twitter Bio: Your Twitter bio is a publicly displayed summary about who you are. The maximum character length for your Twitter bio is 160 characters. It is also possible to use hashtags and emojis in your Twitter bio.
- Direct Messages: Your Direct Messages (DMs) are your private conversations with other Twitter users. When you engage with other Twitter users either individually or in a group, such chat conversations are called Direct Messages.
- Your Media: This includes any photo, GIFs and video you had publicly tweeted.
- Twitter Moments: Twitter Moments are your curated stories. They are easily creatable using the navigation bar with a simple title, description, cover image and tweets.
- Your Followers List: This is the list of individuals, brands or company Twitter handles that follow you. When someone follows another Twitter account, they are subscribing to view their tweets on their timeline.
- Your Following List: This is the list of individuals, brands or company Twitter handles you follow. These are the Twitter accounts you subscribe to view their tweets on your timeline.
- Your Contacts: While using Twitter on an Android smartphone or an iPhone for the first time, you’re prompted to add people from your phone contacts. If you tap Yes, you’re allowing Twitter to access your contacts. Twitter will upload this list on its server and recommend you follow the Twitter accounts of your contacts.
- Your Lists: You can create a personalized list of Twitter accounts to show only tweets from their accounts. These lists can either be public or private. If the lists are public, others can follow those lists to view the curated content.
- Your Bookmarks: While reading a long book, we often create bookmarks to be able to continue reading it later on. Similarly, when you come across an interesting tweet, you may bookmark it to access it in the future.
How Do I Download My Twitter Archive?
Remember you can download an archive for active Twitter accounts only. If you’ve deleted your Twitter account, there is no way to download your Twitter Archive.
Steps for Desktop:
- Sign in to your Twitter account and click the More icon on the left.
- Select Settings and Support.
- Select Settings and Privacy from the drop-down menu.
- Select Your Account > Download an Archive of your Data.
- Type in your Twitter password for verification.
- You’ll receive a One-Time Password (OTP) on your registered email address or registered phone number.
- Type in your OTP.
- Click on Request Archive.
- It’ll take up to 24 hours for Twitter to prepare an archive of your account. Once the archive is ready, you’ll receive an email with the download link.
Steps for Android:
- Sign in to your Twitter account.
- Tap on your Profile icon > Settings and Privacy.
- Tap Account > Data and Permissions.
- Select the Your Twitter Data option.
- Tap the Send Code option and an OTP will be sent to your registered email address or registered phone number.
- A new Account Information page will be displayed.
- Enter your OTP and then tap on Download your Twitter Data.
- Tap on Request Data.
- Twitter will take up to 24 hours to prepare your data. Once the download is ready, you will receive an email or a push notification on your mobile.
Steps for iPhone:
- Sign in to your Twitter account and tap on the Profile icon.
- Tap on Settings and Privacy > Account > Your Twitter Data.
- Tap on Send Code and a One-Time Password (OTP) will be sent to your registered email address or registered mobile number.
- Enter your OTP.
- Tap on Download your Data.
- Tap on Request Data.
- Your download archive will now be prepared. It may take up to 24 hours to prepare it. Once it is available, you may download it from the same page, or use the link received on your registered email address.
Deleting Your Old Tweets
If you have been quite vocal on Twitter for a long time, you may want to get rid of your old tweets. Deleting all tweets one by one isn’t a solution. A handy tool Easy Tweet Deleter can be a great help here.
- Uses official APIs to securely connect to your Twitter account. You don’t need to provide your Twitter sign-in credentials.
- Fully web-based. Doesn’t require downloading any software on your Desktop.
- Compatible with computers, tablets and mobiles irrespective of the operating system.
- Select and automatically delete up to 3200 tweets.
- ETD has a special feature that lets you upload your Twitter archive. While using this method, there is no limitation on the number of tweets you can delete.
- Powered with search filters, date filters, and tweet-type filters to screen out specific tweets of your choice.
- Search and delete old tweets using specific keywords. For example: Any objectionable words that you may have used in your tweets.
- Deletes your retweets to completely remove the traces of your past activities.
- Deletes your Twitter likes in bulk.
- Deletes Twitter media such as videos, photos, GIFs, blog links, website links, etc.
- Easily sign out of your session with One-click for peace of mind.